Mary Makillop

Mary Helen MacKillop(15 January 1842 – 8 August 1909), also known as Saint Mary of the cross, was an Australian Roman Catholic nun who, together with Father Julian Woods, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart and a number of schools throughout Australasia with an emphasis on education for the poor, particularly in country areas. Since her death she has attracted much attention in Australia and internationally. MacKillop is the only Australian to have been canonised which means she is being turned into a saint.Some people don’t want here to be a saint or to be canonised and probably don’t believe in miracles or are a different religion.she has also made 2 miracles

#1 she cured a lady of lukemia in 1961 and

#2 she cured a man of lung cancer in the 1990’s these miricals where aprroved by the vatican

She was canonised on 17 October 2010 during a public ceremony in St Peter’s Square at the Vatican making her the first Australian to be recognised by the Roman Catholic Church as a saint.MacKillop died on 8 August 1909The Archbishop of Sydney stated that: “I consider this day to have assisted at the deathbed of a Saint.After MacKillop’s burial, people continually took earth from around her grave. As a result, her remains were exhumed and transferred on 27 January 1914 to a vault

3 thoughts on “Mary Makillop

1. Even though I am a secular humanist, I have always respected the life and work of Mary McKillop.

She was a great educator and stood up for what she believed in.

One miracle which was especially relevant was a 19-year-old recovering from cancer and multiple scloresis. From the scientific point of view, it might be spontaneous remission, but the Vatican reminds us miracles are not so easily explained!

There might be another Australian getting canonised soon.

On the 17th I remember seeing the ceremony. It had wall-to-wall coverage on the national broadcaster.

2. Zack,
    Some of this is not written in your own words. Remember you needed an image with correct attribution. You also needed about five paragraphs telling me about her early life, whether she visited Tasmania, what the miracles were that she performed.

You still have more work to do on this post before I can assess it.